Home  |  About GZ  |  Directory  |  Contact Us  |  Help Center
Government  |  Residents  |  Visitors  |  Business  
Education System
General Information on Schooling for Foreigners

The Chinese education system provides primary education for six years, followed by six years of secondary school. At higher-education institutions, junior college programs take two to three years, bachelor's programs take four to five years, and master's and doctoral programs take two to three years. Each school year consists of two semesters, with each semester about 21 weeks long. The first semester begins on September 1 and ends in mid-January of the next year, and the second semester begins in early or mid-February and ends in early July. Each school year has about 10 weeks of summer and winter breaks.

A foreign national wishing to attend a primary or secondary school in Guangzhou should apply for a residence permit for educational purposes according to the Interim Administrative Provisions on Primary and Secondary Schools Admitting Foreign Students. A foreign national wishing to attend a higher-education institution in Guangzhou should apply for a residence permit for educational purposes according to the Administrative Provisions on Higher-education Institutions Admitting International Students.

An applicant who has entered China with a regular passport and a visa X may apply for a residence permit in the Department of Entry and Exit Administration of Guangzhou Municipal Public Security Bureau by presenting the letter of offer that he or she has received from a higher-education institution and other required documents (for details, see the entry-exit service guide of Bureau of Public Security of Guangzhou Municipality at http://www.gzjd.gov.cn)

School-age children of foreign nationals residing in Guangzhou may apply to attend their nearest school by presenting their Guangdong Residence Permits. The children may also choose to attend a school dedicated to foreign children in Guangzhou.

For more information on how to obtain a residence permit and the privileges associated with the residence permit, please contact:

※ External Affairs Department, Guangzhou Municipal Personnel Bureau
Tel: 83126138、83126038
Add: No. 1, Fuqian Road

All materials marked with "source: English.gz.gov.cn" on this website (including but not limited to text, photographs, audio and video materials) are the copyrighted property of Guangzhou International (the official website of Guangzhou Municipality). Without prior authorization from Guangzhou International, any media, website, organization or individual shall not transmit, interlink, distribute or republish such materials in any form. Any media and website authorized to republish such materials shall mark them with "source: Guangzhou International (English.gz.gov.cn)". Infringement of these copyrights will result in legal action.

If you find out anything wrong with the information, links and the translation, please offer your comments by selecting the relative content with your mouse and holding "CTRL" and "ENTER" simultaneously. Thank you!
Copyright © 2010 The People`s Government of Guangzhou Municipality.All RightsReserved
Email: gzportal@gz.gov.cn ICP备案号: 粤B2-20040244